Friday, April 24, 2009

MODIFICATION, MYTHS & POSSIBILITIES.

I have heard about lots of modification which can be incorporated in our Indian bikes like Pulsar, Apache and others. There are plenty of shop in every metro along with the aftermarket companies who used to carry these jobs in a very professional manner. But one thing every modifier agrees that any type of performance modification for our small engine bikes costs a earth in India.

The basic modification one can easily carry on his bike like Performance Air Filter, along with jetting, free flow exhaust, some good full syth engine oil and good Spark plug with a supported cable can do wonder for our puny bikes, but synchronizing them is a real big deal and finding such modifier is a question too.

Many International companies already came to India with their good after market products as the trends for modification of bike got increased day by day. Good engine Oil Company like Motul, Valvoline, and Gulf is already in the field with their super syth quality lubes, old players like Castrol also came into limelight again with their newly launched product POWER ONE RACING, and even they have already open bike servicing & tuning zone in various metro to pump up the business. World’s most famous spark plug manufacturer NGK came with their premium series of spark plugs. This Iridium IX plugs provide better performance & cleaner combustion and a long life over normal plugs. Even DENSO came as an OEM spark plug supplier for Yamaha. Performance air filters are always the first choice for a modifier, world’s largest aftermarket Air filter manufacturing company K&N already playing in the market with their various products for Two wheeler & cars. So, in these state of market where lots of International players are try to enter in Indian market, you need a handsome wallet to make your dream true.

But is there any other way around to get all these things a little pocket friendly? That’s right, there is a scope but one should have learn the right trick for his bike, and for this you need some basic idea of the motorcycle internals working procedure. I have done some performance mods in my almost one year old TVS Apache RTR. I will try to illustrate the mods one by one here, so that you understand better.

I have completed the run-in period as per MOTO MAN’s way. I have taken him to all possible rpm zone in all gear, when it was only 232 km on the odo, I took him to some good 400km distance trip in a hot summer noon and all the way I was doing over 80 kmph. Very true I didn’t follow the owner’s manual, but I took good care of him, I have replaced the oil just ride after his first 300km, and always replace the oil in 1000 km interval, along with the oil filter. After completing approx 3000 km I refill him with semi synthetic oil and till date I have almost try all possible oils available in the market and found that the Gulf & ELF (Rs.200.00) suits best his needs. Once tried Motul 15W50 (Rs.350.00) although, it was not so impressive.

After completing the 500km in the odo, I switched to NGK Iridium IX plug instead of Bosch. Being a cold plug NGK provides a cooler & better combustion over normal plugs. Also noticed a slight extra smoothness after using it. This plugs sell in approx Rs.600, but if you want to save some extra cash, then call me.

I have also converted the bike’s electrical from AC to DC, for better power management & better headlight output. To save some battery power I have made two LED white light for pilot lamps, these pilot lamps saves almost 6 watt. I have already tried a 55/60 watt bulb for my headlight, but due to some problem till date not achieved the proper lighting from the same, I am still working on it and let you know when it will done. International bulb manufacturer like OSRAM & PHILIPS already lunched some good product in the Indian market. Nightbraker series from OSRAM is quiet popular among the bikers for its high bright light output then the normal bulbs. A pair of H4 55/60 Nightbraker will cost you approx Rs.1600.00. if you have plenty of cash you can also try the HID ( High intensity discharge), though it is not yet popular due to it’s high price and availability, a good make HID will cost you approx Rs.3000.00 including a ballast. HID is the last word for better lighting now a day.

Recently when experimenting with the Air box & Air filter, I found the stock double mesh sponge type filters has more restricted nature then the other after market air filters like K&N. I was searching for a good paper filter which should be cost effective, clean the air better then the stock one and of course it don’t require much modification to the engine and the air box. I came to know from a friend of mine, who is a great service engineer and have very depth knowledge about motorcycles, he told me to try Honda’s paper air filters which serves the 100-150 cc range of Honda scooters. I got myself a HONDA air filter for just 140 rupees, and surprisingly it fitted into my air box without any much hassle, just need to shave the hole in the air box approx 2 mm. It provides me a good punch in every gear and even it can climb up to 11000 RPM easily. The intoxicating intake growl will insist you to push him to his limit. BTW a K&N will cost you approx Rs.1800.00 to achieve the same kind of performance.

So, it’s in your hand, options are available, you may try it in you own way, need help, feel free to knock me anytime.



12 comments:

BlueFalcon said...

excellent write up , yeah its great to do performence mods like these and this fits the pocket perfectly, also modification in the chain sprocket ratios etc will also give better performence etc as per requirements so there are loads of things can be done without going into much expence.

Darken Dust said...

Awesome yaar....U r a genius. more over i am giving the list what I am planning to do in my efi 160

nightstalker fx
tubeless tires(preferably Michelin)
Apache rtr performance kit(Still market-e ase ni tai wait korchi)
Central locking system
GPS Sytems
power commander
NGK iridium plugs
And smoked headlight.....

What do you think how will it be?????

Unknown said...

It was areally interesting n superb, especially for me.i need a help from u peoples as iam a have a apche rtr160 which i wanted to perform like a superbike.please guide me.

Unknown said...

It was realy good, even i have apache rtr160 which i want modifie into a superbike please help me as idont have any knowledge about the bikes much.

Mrigank R.B. said...

Hello,

Which Honda Models Air Filter you are using on ur RTR? Hows is the long term performance ?
I would like to try it out :-)

Unknown said...

hello ther..!! u've written xcellently about ur mods on ur rtr160.. thnx 4 d info.. u said tat if we hav ny queries we can cntct u.. hw can i cntct u dude.. i want 2 modify my rtr 160.. plz tell me about all this and how can i get this.. u can mail me at 217rajiv@gmail.com.. plz suggest me..

Anonymous said...

yaar i want to increase horse power of ma bike apache 180 how should i cn u tell me i reached ma top speed 133kmph i want more please contact me on ma number 9780878818 please surely contact me m waiting

Anonymous said...

Hi Kaushik, i got your number in a blog that you posted. My name is Rex and i have a nearly two years old Apache RTR. I have some problem in my bike can you help me out.

Unknown said...

Just a comment on your explanation of NGK IX plugs. A colder plug doesn't necessarily give better combustion. In fact if it doesn't reach its working temperature range you will end up fouling the plug. Have a look at this article from NGK: http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/p2.asp?mode=nml. What the IX plugs do is produce a better spark because of the way they are constructed which results in slightly better throttle response, better combustion and they also have a longer life.

Unknown said...

This is M.Mahesh from Madurai .i had the same experience as u did sir. currently doing B.E 3 rd yr in velammal college of Engineering,viraganoor,Madurai. i experience heating problem .Eventhough the service is done at regular intervals (Without fail sir).i have a plan to upgrade to next step bigger bore,some power preferrably some higher top speed done 122km/hr that's it searched for cooling technique no response so i am having an idea of installing R15 radiator in Apache RTR 160. my email is work.mahesh.anand5@gmail.com . plz send me some suggestion
also i have a concept model Apache RTR 1000 purely for Apache only not for other ....

Dinesh S Raj said...

What do u mean by rtr 1000

Dinesh S Raj said...

What do u mean by rtr 1000